Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Creation

When I was little I would sometimes think, "What if I was God?"

I grew up in a mormon household and given the nature of the doctrine it was something that crossed my mind a fair bit. What would I do if I have divine powers? How much would I change? Would there be magic? Would there be weasels running about in watermelon yachts? (I was a weird little kid)

It was one of the reasons I stayed mormon for as long as I did. The idea that someday I would get access to that manner of power was deeply enticing and many days was the only reason I got through Sunday school. In fact I remember doing a great deal of my writing and reading during the various meetings we would go to. I was not a very good mormon. Which in retrospect made me about on par with everybody else there.

But that idea of creating my own world. Of having the power to shape and manipulate it's growth and look, always always stuck with me. It's the one real pang of regret that I feel about leaving the faith. Well that and being effectively shunted out of the dating pool. But another day on that topic.

I wanted to be God. So I started writing. And I keep writing. Always less then I feel I should but more than some of my other friends who call themselves writers. I write and I seek to understand. The fastest way to understand the world is to try and recreate it. In creating you find all of the reasons and underlying logic of why things are the way they are. If you write for long enough you'll start to see the patterns. Though the best part for me is changing the rules then seeing what happens from there.

And so that's what I did. I've created a fantasy world. I've been working on it for years and years. I've had many friends come in and help with it. So many talented people have been working to make my little world it's own thing. I appreciate them more than I can say because in many ways the world of Desylinn is what I would create if I was God. I mean the king of the Gods is even loosely based off of me.

It gives me some small comfort. To wield the power of creation and destruction. It's one of the high points of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment