Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sing Your Song Louder my Sisters

I'm not a woman. 

I'll wait while you overcome the shock. 

I'm also flamingly heterosexual and quite Non-Mormon. So my interest in the Ordain Women movement and subsequent ripples are somewhat... odd. If not outright bizarre. But, as an outsider both within and outside of the church I feel a kinship with these women that I cannot deny. They sing a song that speaks to me. Their pain and desire to be more a part of the decisions in their lives makes me wish to stand with them. 

But this is not my fight. I'm a straight cisgendered male and generally some kind of pagan. But I have something I'd like to say to those who are in this fight. The women wanting to stand as proper equals, or the rejected men and women just wanting to be accepted for what they are. 

A few weeks ago I did some work with an African Shaman. We did ancestor work. A beautiful ceremony. A Radical Fire ritual where I went to the Underworld and came out a different man. But this post is not about that. 

One thing that he said was that "The Ancestors are hard of hearing." He then explained that that's why we have to sing louder and play the drums with more passion. We need to let them know that we are here and that we need their strength and guidance. 

I'm mentioning this to you, my sisters of another Path, because you are doing the right thing. You are singing the song of your soul. If the ancestors are hard of hearing than perhaps God is too. 

Scream out my friends!

Sing out your beautiful bittersweet melody, and know that though I'm not on the front lines with you, I'd fight with you if I my path lead me there. 

You truly inspire me.

The church may not hear the notes. Your communities may not hear the truth of your psalm. But they are not for whom you are singing. Sing out my Sisters! Sing out my Brothers! 

Because God is hard of hearing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment